The CS department employs a network of 13 Dell PowerEdge R430/R620/R630/640 servers behind a Cisco PIX firewall to support our Computer Science and Information Technology courses. It also utilizes a 12TB Dell Equal Logic PS4100E and a 24TB Dell Equal Logic PS4210E file server for storing student, faculty, staff home and course directories. Students use PCs in the UNIX LAB, WEB LAB, and Information Technology (IT) Lab to access the servers for their programming assignments.
The following information details the equipment in the various labs.
The UNIX/PC Lab (M-3-731) is equipped with:
- 2 networked HP M606dn printers
- 38 Dell Optiplex 7040 workstations
- 1 Dell Optiplex 7050 workstation
- 5 Dell Optiplex 7070 workstations
- Total of 44 PCs
The Web Lab (M-3-732) is equipped with:
- No printers
- No Smartboard
- 19 Dell Optiplex 7050 workstations
- Total of 19 PCs
The IT Lab (M-3-730) is equipped with:
- No printers
- 11 Dell Optiplex 7060 workstations
- 9 Dell Optiplex 7070 workstations
- Total of 20 PCs
- IT students use them to access Linux and Windows Virtual Machines running on the Dell PowerEdge servers
All labs offer a 24x7 access and they are maintained by three full-time system staff and a number of student operators. Together, they man a help desk that provides customer support function to faculty, staff, and students. A faculty member serves as the lab director to supervise the full-time system staff and set department IT policies and procedures.
Please click here for our lab policies.
If you have any questions, please contact our operators (M-03-0201-28) at 617-287-6480.
For Operator Hours refer to the FAQ